Can polio drops cause high fever in a child?

Posted on Wed, 20 Mar 2019 in Child Health
Question: My 9 month baby got fever that is he is having presently 101.8 degree , today we took him to give polio drops ,I'm getting worried to fever even though I gave cold cotton bath and put paracetamol syrup
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please be patient.

Detailed Answer:

Most often such symptoms are due to viral infections. You can rest assured that there is no association with the polio drops. Irrespective of treatment it usually spontaneously resolves in 5-7 days.

If your child has fever with temperature more than 100°F, you need to give paracetamol (P-1000, Crocin or Calpol) to it bring down. Also, use tepid sponging.

Please be patient. However, if the rate of breathing seems rapid, make the child lie down and count the abdominal movements for one full minute. If the rate is greater than or equal to 50 breaths/min, or if the child seems lethargic, you would need to seek medical attention as it could indicate pneumonia.

Hopefully, that would help.

Dr. Diptanshu Das, Pediatrician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician