Can poison ivy cause swelling in the penis?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Men's Health
Question: My husbands penis is very swollen. He's got poisen oak real bad. Will it go down without medicine?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most likely need oral prednisone.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

I am sorry to hear this. If his penis is very swollen, most likely he is going to need a course of oral corticosteroids to decrease the inflammation.

The inflammation will eventually go down without medicine, but it may be extremely miserable until then. Also, if he is uncircumcised, there is a limit to how much the foreskin can stretch before it tears.

The usual recommendation for situations like this is a short course of oral corticosteroids such as prednisone. This will decrease the inflammatory reaction more rapidly.

I strongly advise that he be seen in an urgent care or ER tonight.

Please let me know if I can provide further information. I hope he is feeling better soon!