Can pleurisy be caused by anxiety?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: can pleurisy be caused by anxiety? I was diagnosed with Pneumonia with pleural effusions and pericarditis with pericardial effusions 3 months ago. I was hospitalised twice with regular follow up appointments until the condition resolved itself. 2 days after my last hospitalisation I went back to the emergency department with mild pleuritic pain and was discharged the next morning as the doctors were happy that there was no fluid present and the pain was probably due to a spasm of some kind. I want to know can Pleuritic pain be caused by anxiety?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
anxiety may cause any symtpom

Detailed Answer:

anxiety may cause any symptom, particularly if the patient is very anxious about it. For example a young patient like you, who has been in so much trouble, may interpret minor symptoms as major ones and may unwantedly exaggerate.

Pleuritic pain can be caused by either lung or heart problems (pleura or pericardium irritation). Sometimes the pain may precede fluid accumulation. Actually when fluid accumulates the pain may get 'softer'. If your symptoms persist - and particularly if you feel shortness of breath - I would advise you to check again.

Till then you should be reassured as the doctors have examined you and found no concerning evidence.

Kind Regards!