Can plastic material ingestion cause harm to a baby?

Pediatrician
Question
I recently realized that the bottles I've been using for my baby may contain either plastic that is melted / changing into a gel or mold. It is on a small plastic insert so I didn't notice it. I have stopped using the bottles, but I don't know how long she has been ingesting it. I'm afraid that it will cause cancer.... What should I do?
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Irshad H Naqvi 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not absorbed. Harmless

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear

Any plastic material is not going to be absorbed inside the body through the intestinal mucosa. Further plastic cannot be in liquid form except when the temperature is very high so it cannot change in to gel form to get absorbed.

Better to avoid bottle feed. Feeds can be given by cup, spoon etc which can be easily cleaned.
For such a small child, exposure cannot for very long time to be carcinogenic. I would like to assure you that nothing deleterious have happened to the child.

Relax your self and start feeding the child in a healthy manner. If you are concerned, you can get the child examined thoroughly by your pediatrician for your assurance and satisfaction.

Hope the query is answered. Please feel free for further clarification.

Thanks

Follow-up: Can plastic material ingestion cause harm to a baby? 9 hours later
Thank you for the reply.... I just realized that the insert is not plastic, it is rubber. Would that make any difference?

Answered by Dr. Irshad H Naqvi 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not much. will be expelled out

Detailed Answer:
Hi ,
Same course. it will not be absorbed and it will be expelled out along with the stool.
Thanks