Can plan B cause change in periods?

Question
Hello I am a 19 year old girl and I took plan B on XXXXXXX 24th the day after sex. I then got my period the day I was suppose to on July 4th but I also became sick with high fever for the next few days. For the following week until the 25 every morning whenever I peed it was tinted a little red. I was suppose to get my period today August 1rst but I didn't. I have been having period symptoms like emotional and occasional cramps. I took a pregancy test early morning and it came out negative. My question is because plan b extended my period did it also mess up my period this month? Or am I pregnant?
Posted Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
NO you are not pregnant

Detailed Answer:

YES, plan B can cause change in periods for a few months.

You will get periods late after taking plan B for few months. It will resolve on its own.

NO you are not pregnant but if you want to confirm get a blood beta HCG test.

It is more specific than the urine test.

Dr. Som MD

Follow-up: Can plan B cause change in periods? 8 hours later
Thank you for answering so quickly but the blood test is not possible right now. How long should I wait before I take another pregnancy test? Can it be a week late or longer?

Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
4 weeks at least

Detailed Answer:
Dear,

You should take a urine pregnancy test at least 4 weeks after missed periods.

So if you missed periods on 1st august there is no point doing it before 29 th august ( after 4 weeks).

Dr. Som