Can pituitary tumor cause weight gain, migraines, ovarian cysts, abnormal periods, sleeplessness and depression?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Fri, 8 Jun 2018 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Good evening,
I am a 25 year old female and I started to have health issues back in Jun of 2016. My MRI showed a Brain Lipoma and I was diagnosed with a pituitary tumor in May of 2017. I have experienced a 50 pound weight gain in 6 months, migraines, excessive thirst, excessive hunger, bruising easily, ovarian cysts, numbness and tingling in my hands and feet, swelling in my face/ legs/ arms, spooning nails, abnormal periods,
sleep disturbances, depression, anxiety, nerve damage and I am currently experiencing hair loss. I have had my cortisol levels checked and I was told my results are in the normal range. Can you please assist?
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About your concern;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone carefully through your concern.
The symptoms you described are typically suggestive for hormonal imbalance caused by ovarian cysts (polycistic ovarian syndrome).
The pituitary tumor diagnosed 1 year ago needs of course a whole hormone profile ( prolactin, GH, IGF1, TSH, Ft4 and Ft3, dexametasone suppression test) a secreting adenoma. It's dimensions are also important in deciding the treatment or follow up.
If the pituitary adenoma results a non functioning tumor with dimensions under 10 mm, follow up is recommended and it can not cause any symptom.
Regarding to ovarian cysts, loosing weight is mandatory and you should discuss with your treating physician about metformin treatment.
Hope i have been helpful.
Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana