Can pinched nerves cause pain in the lower back?
At 4/5 level, there is annular disc bulge with posterior central and right paracentral/foraminal disc protrusion (showing radial tear), impinging the thecal sac, compressing and displacing posteriorly the right descending L5 nerve root, indenting the left descending L5 nerve root. There is mild to moderate spinal canel narrowing (more prominent on the right side).
I have been getting pain down the sides of my legs into my hips when I walk for more than 10-15 minutes. I also get pain in my calves and legs at night - could this be the reason?
Yes, your pain is because of the pinched nerves in the lower back region.
I have noted your symptoms and MRI spine details. As per MRI, there is compression of nerves at two places in the lumbar (lower back) region.
These nerves start in the back and go to thigh, calves, and legs. Compression of nerves may result in pain, tingling, numbness or weakness of legs.
The pinching of nerves has occurred due to bulging of discs (soft tissue located between the two vertebral bodies of the spine).
At this stage, you would require medications such as Pregabalin or Duloxetine to relief the pain.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist
Yes, muscle stiffness can be due to this.
Muscle stiffness can be due to this problem.
It is better to relax for a few minutes when exercising causes leg pain. Once the pain subsides, you can resume the exercises. Avoid lifting heavy weights and also avoid forward bending, as it could increase the compression of nerves.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Causes lower back pain
- Lower back pain due to pinched nerve treatment
- Penal pain and back pinched nerve
- Discharge and back lower back pain
- Lower back pain soreness nerves undamaged cause
- Pinched nerve lower back cause penis pain
- Nerve pain in lower back
- Lower back pain pinching in vagina
- Pinched back nerve testicular pain
- Lower back pain, indent in back
- CT scan shows intracerebral bleed, cortical vein thrombosis, patchy...
- Distorted vision. MRI showed demyelination and suspected MS. Prescribed...
- I have been getting random twitching all over body. What should I do?
- Taking Epilim chromo to prevent migraine, now irritable, aggressive,...
- Burning sensation in neck, back and stomach. Had stomach upset, gas,...
- Headache, taken painkillers and homeopathic treatment. No nausea. Worried
- X-ray shows rotoscoliosis, spondyloisthesis, degenerative disc disease....
- What does the EMG results indicate? Could it cause problems with fine...
- Shivering hands and feet, blurred vision, tingling and numb foot, back...
- Does Gonapeptyl cause fits in children? Child has cerebral palsy