Can persistent gastritis after eating indicate allergy?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hello hope I can get some idea of what is going on I am 45 and beginning of oct had some gastritis or I was told the symptoms were stomach pain and burp like feeling stuff in my throat illuminated foods seen my dr she said dyspepsia as I have been having stomach issues but I notice it after I eat usually can this be allergies I have seen an ent he says I have a lot of post nasal drip as well
Mon, 23 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Less likely to be due to just food allergy.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query dear patient,
My dear patient dyspepsia is nothing but an umbrella term which covers patient who presents with symptoms like excesive gas formation burping farting abdominal pain overlapped with acid peptic disorder.Basically all these terms from gastritis to reflux disorder to dyspepsia are inter related.When ever a patient presents to a gastroenterologist with a set of symptoms you are having initially two tests are done-
1)Endoscopy-Through a camera we see esophagus and gut.Ulcers or severe inflammation(gastritis) are seen however its not necessary that mild to moderate inflammation could be seen through endoscope(Patient would be symptomatic but endoscopy would be normal).
2)Mannometry-To measure pressures across upper gut.

If both these tests are normal but patient is symptomatic he/she would be labelled as having gastritis or dyspepsia(a better term covering more symptoms).

Initially i would suggest you to follow the same protocol.
Go for these tests and follow up with report.

Approach 2-
Clinical response to medication is usually observed in patients with dyspepsia.
So you could start taking omeprazole 40 mg twice daily with an antacid and probiotic and see if symptoms respond to it.

Food allergy can be a factor but can’t be the only cause.
Ideally you should go for the tests.
Hope i was helpful.
Regards!

Follow-up: Can persistent gastritis after eating indicate allergy? 1 hour later
Thank you this was very informative I won't be able to see my gp till Monday can this wait or am I in danger

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hi my dear patient,
Please take your time.
Its not an emergency.
Till that time you can take over the counter medication like
Tums twice a day.
Omeprazole 40 mg twice a day
VSL# 3 once daily.
All of themare over the counter and would provide you symptomatic relief.
Thanks!