Can peripheral neuropathy get worse?

Dr. Eni

Posted on Fri, 20 Jul 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have been advised to cut out my wine consumption.
The areas of concern are memory and neurological, i.e. shaking hands, peripheral nephropathy.
Question: How do the nephropathy problems proceed, i.e. leading to death, how?
Answered by Dr. Eni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is a progressive and slow process.

Detailed Answer:
Dear,
The problems you are writing about are peripheral neuropathy, which means disease of the nerves on your hands and feet, head and thighs.

This is a slow process. First of all, there's lose of sensory nerves at various places of the body.

Generally, pain isn't felt if the leg is in a bad position of low blood circulation. You can thus get wounds, but be unable to heal them or to stop them from reappearing. This wounds may get infected and spread the disease in your body. Exactly like someone suffering from diabetes. Because with peripheral neuropathy, even your ability to heal is diminished. This is the slow way that peripheral neuropathy can lead to cell death. Multiple wounds that are unable to heal.

Thus I would recommend you to cut down your wine consumption.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish you good health!
Manoku Eni

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Eni 1 hour later
"wounds"?? do you mean normal cuts or bruises?
Answered by Dr. Eni 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ulcers

Detailed Answer:
They become more like ulcers. There is less amount of blood going there, and the tissue slowly starts to die.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Eni 21 hours later
Don't know if you have info from old questions?
I am on Warfarin due to A fib.
So Ulcers would be a major problem but my main concern is control of my limbs. I use a cane now to aid in stability, I walk with a wide stance. My brain does not communicate with my limbs too well. What comes next?

You might want to forward this to a Neurologist.
Answered by Dr. Eni 3 days later
Brief Answer:
Please use the 'Ask A Specialist' service for the desired Specialist

Detailed Answer:
Hello again Dear,
Sorry for the delay in my answer,

I have tried to answer as far as it regards my education. You can use the 'Ask a Specialist' service in this forum only so that the desired specialist can answer your queries. Please contact the customer care service for further assistance.

I am sorry for this inconvenience.
Wish you good health!

Manoku Eni M.D.