Can periods occur in an elderly patient?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Mon, 4 Jun 2018 in Women's Health
Question: I just turned 69 years old. Other than having a somewhat disabling back problem, I have been healthy. Until recently, ( the last 12 months or so ), I have developed a condition I believe is an ARTIFICAL MONTHLY PERIOD. I have self diagnosed this condition based on my symptoms and online study I have done. Every 3 weeks I have all the symptoms and conditions of a monthly period except the flow. I have found these conditions to be almost debilitating for about 7-10 days. I am puzzled because I have l child of natural delivery, and no problem with my periods, except I have had no previous experience with actual menopause. I did not experience menopause previously, as menopause is defined. Am I experiencing menopause at 69 years old? I have had many discussions with my gynecologist and several primary doctors. They all state that they have never heard of this. Please advise me, as these conditions are exaggerated and ruining my life. As you can imagine, this is difficult for my husband as well.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hormone deprivation is the cause

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Going by the mentioned description it seems that you are suffering from hormone deprivation (it is not exactly same as menopause, but in a way similar). Such a thing is commonly encountered in women of your age. If that is the case, hormone replacement therapy (HRT) could provide relief. You need to visit a gynecologist to get evaluated and tested. He would be able to set up the right regimen for you.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T