Can panic attacks elevate troponin levels?

Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: I had elevated troponin it was 44 the dr said it's not high enough for heart attack that should be in the thousands or millions but it was still elevated then six hours later went down to normal under ten and the troponin tests I've had done since then are all under 10 aswell

I guess I'm just curious I was in a packed out cinema and in full blown anxiety attack when I felt the pain shot from my chest down my arm like a lightning bolt then I got the 44 reading, so I'm curious to know if anyone knows if panic attacks and anxiety can elevate troponin levels only for them to return to normal once panic seizes I also had a normal echo cardio gram and a normal ct scan of the heart nothing untoward found
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes troponin levels do increase in panic attacks

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.

I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.

Yes the panic attacks can cause a marginal rise in troponin levels. This occurs due to increased heart rate and cardiac exhaustation. Same occurs in exercise as well. However the rise may not be upto a significant level. So you need not worry at this stage.
Consider taking treatment for panic attacks. Paroxetine is a drug of choice for panic attacks and clonazepam will be good for symptomatic relief.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.

If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.

If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,

Kind regards

Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.

Follow up: Dr. Srikanth Reddy 41 minutes later
Thank you

I was told by my gp that anxiety and panic attacks do not raise troponin levels and he could not understand why i had a level of 44 then six hours later normal at less than 10

What I am most concerned about is the pain that went from my chest and down my left arm it was like lightning and can anxiety do that and cause the slightly elevated troponin level too? I'm scared I had a XXXXXXX heart attack or that I am going to have a heart attack soon because I heard people who have a high troponin test go on to have heart attacks and I'm scared

Despite by chest x rays and echocardiogram and ct scan of my heart being normal I suffer from daily chest pain, hot flushes and cold pouring sweat dizziness and blurred vision and fatigue and an ache in my left arm and jaw this happens everyday for the past four months

I am so scared I'm going to have a heart attack
Is this all my anxiety?
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes it could be an anxiety disorder

Detailed Answer:
Hello
It could be an anxiety disorder. An echo is specific to diagnose any angina. If it has come normal, then there is no need to worry.
Hope this helps
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD
Follow up: Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
I had the echo a month before the 44 troponin test but I had the ct scan after the troponin test

Would the ct scan which was normal show any damage if there was any ? I'm worried I've had a heart attack or myocardial infection

I'm really scared
I've read I've got a high risk of a heart attack or sudden death syndrome now I've had an elevated troponin

I'm terrified can you please explain to me how anxiety can produce troponins ?
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 3 days later
Brief Answer:
Ansers as asked

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Yes, a CT scan will show up an area of damage if there was any due to a heart attack.
Coming to your second question, increase heart rate can lead to circulatory insufficiency leading to increased troponin levels. However as the increase was not signifuicant then you can simply avoid ebing anxious about that.
Hope this helps
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD