question-icon

Can pain killers be used for rheumatoid arthritis?

Posted on Wed, 23 Apr 2014
Question: For rheumatoid arthritis, could we use a pain killer on regular basis, with a minimal side effects, other than Ace Proxyvon Tablets. At present we are not using any medicine, other than accupuncture treatment. But for regular use, please provide an alternative medicine for pain relief
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal (16 minutes later)
Brief Answer: paracetamol and tramadol Detailed Answer: Hi, Frankly speaking there is no painkiller which is absolutely safe, also painkillers only give an analgesic effect. If there is swelling in the joint then the joint damage will continue to increase. Also once joints start getting damaged and deformities appear then there is no way of reversing deformity. Out of the pain medication paracetamol and tramadol combination drugs are the safest. The rest of the medicines have a similar side effect profile. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if you need any other information. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Divya Agarwal (44 hours later)
Please specify a medicine tablet with the above combination for us to follow.
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal (43 minutes later)
Brief Answer: ultracet, ultramol Detailed Answer: medicines with the above combination generally available are ultracet, ultracet semi and ultramol. these may be taken 2 or 3 times a day according to pain requirement.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatologist