Can overweight temporarily cause low sperm count?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi i'm well overweight can being overweight cause temporaily cause low sperm count and can my sperm count be reverse to normal if i lose weight?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later

You are 32 years old and over weight. You suspect your sperm count to be low due to obesity, I would like to make clear to you that over weight has primarily nothing to do with spermatogenesis and cannot be the reason for low sperm count. However obesity is one of the important causes and lead to other systemic diseases like hypertension, high cholesterol and diabetes which may indirectly result in low sperm count. Therefore it will be better for you to reduce the weight by consulting a Nutritionist.

Please check for presence of the aforementioned associated illness. Specific treatment will be required in case those are present.

I hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to ask if you have any more queries. I shall be pleased to help you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Ok thank you very much for answering my question.I'm really not sure yet if i do have low sperm count until i get it check by the Urologist. but i had a home testing done for my sperm count and it wasnt giving me a good reading on the test so i dont know if i did something wrong when i was taking the test or if it really is low.so if my sperm count is low do to hypertension, high cholesterol and diabetes by lossing weight can that be reverse to my normal sperm count?Thanks again!
Thanks for feedback.

It is still not clear to me how you have done sperm count at home. I think you are confusing semen volume with sperm count because Semen analysis can be done only by a skilled technician and that too in a well equipped laboratory.

So please get it done in a recognized Pathological Laboratory to confirm whether you really have low sperm count or not and post the report to me for opinion.

As I have said earlier being overweight does does not affect spermatogenesis. However Hypertension, Diabetes and High Cholesterol which are the complications of obesity can decrease the sperm count.

So try to reduce your weight, under guidance and supervision of qualified Nutritionist.

Thanks with Regards.
Dr. Patil.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 15 hours later
Ok i will thanks again for answering my question.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 hours later
Hi

Thanks for your feedback You can contact me once you get your Semen Analysis report to make any comments and suggestions, Thanks with Regards.

Dr. Patil

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 2 days later
Here this is what i was talking about a couple days ago when i said i took the sperm
count test at home. WWW.WWWW.WW And i made an appointment for next week so i will get back to you after i have my test done in the laboratory.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later

Thanks for feedback. Please post the report of semen analysis once you get it.

Thanks
Dr Patil