Can over extension of wrists cause carpel tunnel during a fall?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
i had a slip and fall accident two years a go at work. now i'am diagnosed with median carpel tunnel.
it goes all the way to my shoulders, bilateral.
i went down backwards with fingers pointing backwards to break my fall,or smash the back of my head.
i over extended my wrists/palms backwards could this be the cause if my carpel tunnel today?
my hands are shaking right now as i type this,its hard to close my fists!
Sat, 9 Jun 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, trauma could have caused your carpal tunnel.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

I am Dr. Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist, and I would try my best to help you.

I have noted your clinical details. Based on this, it is likely that the fall could have caused or contributed to the carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS). CTS occurs due to entrapment of median nerve at the level of the wrist.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr. Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in