Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Can ovarian cyst cause chronic pain in SI joint and hip joint?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10270 Questions
Hello. I am a 48 year old female who is in good health and somewhat overweight (40 lbs) with no known history of pelvic/uterine problems. I was wondering if ovarian cysts can cause chronic referred pain to the SI/ hip joint? Two months ago I had a suspected ovarian cyst rupture on my right side. The pain from it was as excruciating as a kidney stone. The CAT scan was inconclusive, a kidney stone and appendicitis was ruled out, and blood tests were normal.
I had been having intermittent right-sided SI joint pain for several months and, two weeks previous to the rupture event, I'd had unusual signs like hot flashes, mood swings, frequent urination, and breast tenderness. For two weeks following the suspected cyst rupture, I had no pain at all and all of the other symptoms also disappeared with exception of the frequent urination.
Now, the pain has returned, and affects both SI joints and is nearly unbearable. I am controlling the pain with 400-800 mg doses of Ibuprofen. My periods are still regular and normal. I am positive I am not pregnant and have not been for several years. Can you offer any ideas of what may be going on?
Posted Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The pain in the SI joint that you are having is not likely to be related to the ovarian cysts. It is more likely to be related to the spondylottic changes in the spine. An MRI of the spine will help in proper diagnosis.
The main treatment of such pain is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with your symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic.
You can get the appropriate drugs prescribed from your Orthopedician after examination.
Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
- If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.
- Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- Back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physiotherapist.
- Avoid exercises in times of pain.
- Improvise your posture while sitting.
- Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.
Also, maintain a proper posture while working, sitting and standing. Keep your back straight.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor