question-icon

Can ovarian cyst cause blockage of small intestine?

Posted on Sat, 26 Jul 2014
Question: My friend, XXXXXXX has been in a XXXXXXX Clinic hospital, Marymount, since last night. She has a blockage in her small intestine. In the past several years, she has had ovarian cysts. The doctors at the Clinic have told her that those cysts may have caused the blockage. Could that be correct?

Thanks for your help!
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak (4 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Benign ovarian tumor do not cause obstruction

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Benign Ovairan cyst are unlikely to cause any intestinal obstruction. I assume you meant Intestinal obstruction and symptoms related to it like vomiting, distension of abdomen.
Only few Ovarian tumors which cause release of cystic fluid over period of time may rarely predispose to some amount of bowel adhesions. Even then symptomatic bowel obstruction is less likely.

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Take Care

Best Regards
Dr T Shobha Deepak
MBBS,MD
Dr. T Shobha Deepak