Can orthostatic hypotension cause leg weakness?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My husband has been diagnosed with orthostatic hypotension and he has low magnesium. He is taking magnesium 4 times a day and blood pressure pills to raise his blood pressure, but his legs are still giving out from under him and has falls every couple of days. I am not sure how urgent it is to get care for him before seeing his doctor in 4 more days.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that falling is a common complaint related to orthostatic hypotension.

For this reason, I would recommend some tips to improve his situation:

- increase salt intake in diet
- avoid prolonged standing up position
- use compression socks to help improve his blood pressure values.

With the above measures, the situation may wait until consulting with his doctor after 4 days.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri