Can orgasms cause headaches and migraines?

Dr. V. N. S. Parinam

Posted on Mon, 17 Sep 2018 in Men's Health
Question: I am a sexually active male for a few months in my late twenties and again in my thirties and a short time in my forties. while having sex everything is fine,but as soon as I would get close to climax I could feel it coming on then when climax happens,i would get a headache so bad it's almost like if someone hit me in the head with a hammer, it not only happens when I do all the work. please excuse me, but it even happens during oral sex and manual release. my family doctor just blows off sex stuff. another doctor said oh some people just have pain that's normal.
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Orgasmic coital cephalgia.

Detailed Answer:

What you describe is called Orgasmic Coital cephalagia. Do you ever have a migraine or any other stress in your life?

Do you have this kind of a headache only with your wife?

Is it episodic while having normal ejaculation without a headache during other times? Was a CT scan head done?

This kind of a headache is benign and lasts a few minutes to an hour.

Abstinence from sex for a couple of weeks is a reasonable approach if you have it continuously during the short time period.

If you cannot abstain then take Motrin one hour before intercourse.

For prevention, you can approach a local doctor for a prescription of Propanolol which helps.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Suma Parinam, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana