Can oral device therapy be used in place of CPAP while travelling?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I've been using a CPAP for 18 months now. In the sleep lab I had an AHI of 31. Now I have average nightly readings of 2 to 4. I'm thinking of getting a dental device to use instead of the CPAP when I travel (allowing me not to have to pack the CPAP). Do you think a dental device gets reasonably good results? I am not overweight; my apnea is likely caused by small throat opening, collapsing tongue. I travel an average of 7 to 10 days out of a month.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dental devices should be tried in your case.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Yes, you should definitely try dental device.
I am not 100% sure but it might works for you because you are having sleep apnea due to altered anatomy (small throat opening, collapsing tongue).
In such cases dental devices work well.
So you should definitely give it a try.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D