Can opioids cause itching on the hands, feet, back and stomach?

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Posted on Tue, 30 Oct 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I'm just trying to figure out what I'm allergic to. I've got itching on tops of feet, hands, and my back and stomach. I am on opioid medicines and thought it may be that but I didn't take it for 36 hours and the symptoms continues.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Diagnosis: Opioid-induced pruritis most likely

Detailed Answer:

Pruritis or itching is a common side effect of opioid medication, occurs in 10 to 20 % of people taking opioids orally.

The itching is not an allergic reaction, but rather a stimulation of certain spinal receptors triggering itching.

It can take up to 3 to 4 days after completely stopping opioids to relieve the itch.

You can take Phenergan (Promethazine, may need a prescription from your local physician) 25 mg thrice daily to help relieve the itching.

Also, apply moisturizers to your skin. Phenergan is sedative but is the most effective antihistamine to relieve opioid-induced itching.

While starting Phenergan, please be advised to discontinue any other antihistamine like Benadryl which you are already taking.

In future, using the lowest possible dose of opioids can help prevent itching.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Lekshmi Rita Venugopal, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee