Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

159 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Can one's height be increased at the age of 19?

Answered by
Dr. Mirjeta Guni


Practicing since :2006

Answered : 2122 Questions

Posted on Sat, 1 Apr 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hello Doctor. I am male who just turned 19 in January and just wondering about my growth. I'm current 5'6, 166lbs and moderately active. Some things I have an issue with is I haven't grown an inch taller since I was about 13, I still have some what of large breast, barely any facial hair, and really no muscular mass what so ever. I basically have be body of a middle school kid. I talked to my doctor just to see if my testosterone level was normal but she didn't check it. She just assumed it was normal and she said it would be a waste of money doing that for me. What I want to know is am I done with puberty or do I have extreme delayed puberty? Is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hormonal evaluation needed:

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query on HCM!
I find your concern right and i think that you need further hormonal evaluation.
If your predicted height (calculated based on your parents height) is higher than your actual height, i would suggest to do a hormonal evaluation.
A growth hormone deficiency, an underactive thyroid, a high prolactine level or low testosterone are the main causes of short stature, gynecomastia, no muscular mass ect.
It is not normal to stop growing at age of thirteen for a male.
Of course,i would suggest to check the below mentioned hormones:
-Prolactine level
-Testosterone level.
If any of them results to be out of normal ranges, further evaluations are needed.
Will be a pleasure to review the results for a second opinion.

Best wishes,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Gynecomastia

doctor1 MD

i am having gynaecomastia i dont knw really bt my friends say my age s 22 and they say its bilateral my one side of chest is slightly protruding out and my left side a bit more than right side can u help me in how to diagnose weather it s gynaecomastia or some thing else

doctor1 MD

I am 28 years old. I am not sure if I have gynecomastia or not. I have boobs like chest only near my nipples. I did some rigorous upper chest exercises. But my upper chest became flat where as lower chest is still like small boobs. I would like to go for any ayurvedic treatment. And I have developed sleeping irregularities where I do not get sleep till late in night around 2-3 am. Due to which i feel fully drained out in the day. I feel lot of stress on my eyes and back part of head. This sleeping disorder has lead to hormonal imbalance and inturn i have developed male boobs, very stressed pain full eyes and sort of head ache or strain on back part of head.

doctor1 MD

Last year I went under the knife for gynaecomastia surgery. I was told by my consultant that the surgery would include liposuction and then a small incision under each areola to remove the circular lumps of excess tissue. After the operation, my dressings were removed to see how the swelling was. I could see that only liposuction had been carried out. I asked why this was and the plastic surgeon told me that if they were to have tried to remove the excess tissue they would have had to have made a large incision. The only reason I wanted this surgery done was because of the size of my nipples, the circumference was not necessarily big, but they were reasonably puffy. Now, they are even worse than they were before the surgery. I was wondering, would my doctor take this in to account and possibly attempt to get me on to another waiting list for more surgery to correct the problem?

doctor1 MD

Could you please suggest Alternative for finax 1 mg, I have been affected by breast enlargement (gynecomastia) and itchy skin rash(hand) ?Name : Riaz Age: 28 Gender : Men Finax : Using from 4 years Affects seen: Jan 2014 ( breast tenderness and enlargement (gynecomastia) and itchy skin rash(hand) )

doctor1 MD
doctor1 MD

Hi. I'm considering taking trenbolone acetate (briefly) to increase protein uptake for muscle development. I understand that, as long as I limit it to a brief period, there should be minimal side effects. What, exactly, are the side effects and is...

doctor1 MD

I need some over the counter medicines for A Gynacomotia? What medicines will you recommend?