Can one's height be increased at the age of 19?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Sat, 1 Apr 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hello Doctor. I am male who just turned 19 in January and just wondering about my growth. I'm current 5'6, 166lbs and moderately active. Some things I have an issue with is I haven't grown an inch taller since I was about 13, I still have some what of large breast, barely any facial hair, and really no muscular mass what so ever. I basically have be body of a middle school kid. I talked to my doctor just to see if my testosterone level was normal but she didn't check it. She just assumed it was normal and she said it would be a waste of money doing that for me. What I want to know is am I done with puberty or do I have extreme delayed puberty? Is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hormonal evaluation needed:

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query on HCM!
I find your concern right and i think that you need further hormonal evaluation.
If your predicted height (calculated based on your parents height) is higher than your actual height, i would suggest to do a hormonal evaluation.
A growth hormone deficiency, an underactive thyroid, a high prolactine level or low testosterone are the main causes of short stature, gynecomastia, no muscular mass ect.
It is not normal to stop growing at age of thirteen for a male.
Of course,i would suggest to check the below mentioned hormones:
-IGF1
-TSH
-Prolactine level
-Testosterone level.
If any of them results to be out of normal ranges, further evaluations are needed.
Will be a pleasure to review the results for a second opinion.

Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T