• question-icon

    Can one's height be increased at the age of 13?

Posted on Wed, 16 Aug 2017 in Child Health
Question: This is about my son who's date of birth is 27th January 2005. We are worried about his height growth. His height in July 2016 was 141 cm and in April 2017 was 145 cm . Overall he is on a very short side as compared to other children of his age group i.e. 12-13 years.

Please advise what should we do. Should we consider giving him Growth Hormones if possible

Please note the following points too
1. Birth weight was 2.67 kg an doctor did not take length that time
2. His current height is 145 cm
3. There is no family history of short stature.
4. Fathers height is 180 cm and mother is 156 cm
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Growth as per age may be normal

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for asking on this platform
I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.
Proper growth monitoring on a growth chart is needed for proper accessment of growth.
In few children due to constitutional delay growth may be low in this age but they catch very fast till 18 year of age.
Please let me know if growth hormone levels has been done.
I don't get worried if he is within the standard deviation of chart.

Please get back with answer.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 13 hours later
no growth harmone has not been tested. Is there any method to test growth hormones?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As per the growth chart, growth is normal for this age

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up

If you plot the height of your child on growth chart(recommended by XXXXXXX academy of pediatrics) it is more than 97th percentile, which shows that he is growing very well.
Even if you assess his growth in context of yours, it is normal (as seen in mid parental height growth chart).
So I won't get overly worried. Assessment of growth hormone is needed only if growth is below the 3rd centile.So I don't think growth hormone assessment is needed in your child's case.
Sometimes child growth gets decreased for 2-3 years and then catch up growth occurs till 18 years of age.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Practicing since :2006

Answered : 1999 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Birth weight

doctor1 MD

Hi , My baby is 70 days old - she went through the sugery for NEC on the 10 day of her birth - they didnt joined the remaining two parts of the...

doctor1 MD

Hi doctor, I have a daughter who is 45 days old and nowadays she is feeding only for 10min per feed during night is it ok? And how long should I...

doctor1 MD

hi I am a new lactating mother. m confused if my milk is sufficient for my baby.. coz she often cries even after I feed for 20 minutes n takes her...

doctor1 MD

I have a 3 months 15 days old baby. He was 3.5Kgs at the time of birth and 6.5 kgs now. I would like to know when can i start introducing solids to...

doctor1 MD

Hi I am the mother of 7 children who were small birth weight babies average 6.3 lbs to 6.6. Now my daughter has had a child of her own and her...

doctor1 MD

Dear Doctor, My baby girl is 8 .5 months . Her birthweight was only 2kgs as i had gestational hypertension. Her current weight is 6.5kg. She is...

doctor1 MD

my 45 days baby urinating more than 9 times per day and crying after urine pass..she is also having some white particles in stool....No weight gain...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

151 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Pradeep Kumar
  • Q - What are the symptoms of poisoning in a child?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for severe cough and fever in a child

  • Q - What causes cough, fasciculation, nasal congestion and fever?

  • Q - Can an infant be fed with castor oil to cure colic?

  • Q - What causes painful red blisters on tonsils?

  • Q - Suggest remedy for neck swelling in a child

  • Q - Suggest remedy for constipation in children

  • Q - Suggest remedy for persistent dry cough and cold in a child

  • Q - Suggest remedy for severe fever and cough in a child

  • Q - Suggest remedy for headache, dizziness and vomiting