Can one take Labetalol during pregnancy?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in General Health
Question: Hello dr.
M in 37th week of my pregnancy. M chronic hypertensive. My bp was well controlled by 7th month then it started increasing... my dr gradually increased my doses... till yesterday it was alphadopa 500 mg thrice and labetalol 100 mg thwice.... now she has again changed it to alphadopa 500 thrice and labetalol 200 mg thrice becaus... is it ok ?
Would such strong doses affect me n my baby ?
N what bout post delivery... would it be safe in future too....?
I was also diagnosed with iugr last week so dr told me to deliver the baby by the end of 38th week.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer.....there is nothing to worry regarding the dose and safety profileĀ of these drugs.
Detailed answer.....
I have read your query.
Methyl dopa is the drug of first choice and Labetalol is the second in line for the treatment of chronic hypertension associated with pregnancy. Both these drugs are widely used for control of hypertension in pregnancy in several countries including USA and UK.
Methyldopa has the best documented maternal and fetal safety record.
The doses being used by your doctor are perfectly normal and won't cause any problem either to you or your baby.
Carry on with the treatment offered by your doctor.
I hope it helps,however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 6 minutes later
Thankew dr.
As u hav told that methyldopa is safe n what about labetalol.. bacause i am taking alohadopa 500mg thrice and labetalol 200 mg thrice too.

And also what to know about post delivery.... hope these high dose wont affect feeding.
Labetalol is emerging as the first line of treatment of hypertension in pregnancy along with methyldopa and is considered as very safe drug.
Fresh assessment of your blood pressure would be done after delivery and then future course of action would be decided. There are plenty of options of drugs which can be used after the delivery.
As I wrote earlier there is no bad effect on your baby or feeding after delivery.
Thanks