Can one resume diabetes medication a day after undergoing bilateral knee replacement?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 20 May 2019 in Back Pain
Question: my mom undergone bilateral knee replacement next day after knee replacement can we start sugar medication and whst are dis and donts after knee replacement surgery thanks for your help. Also could yoy please let me know what are the symptoms of blood clot

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for you quick reply and very useful information. She is having very severe pain after surgery its already one day over but still pain is very severe in both knees because of which she is not able to make movements .Wanted ti check whether pain is common after the day of bilateral knee surgery or need to take any immediate attention. they had given pain killers and paracetamol but pain still there not able to make movements easily . For blood clotting they had given injection . please let us know if anything can be done to reduce severe pain . as per your input severe pain is one of the reason for blood clotting which my mother have currently so wanted to confirm if it is blood clot or any other symptoms apart from the one which you had mentioned

---------------------------------------------------------------
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Answers explained

Detailed Answer:

Yes, sugar medication needs to be started immediately because after surgery there is chance for more rise in blood sugar. Better to test sugar at regular intervals.

Blood clot can get formed in the operated leg due to less movement and lack of physiotherapy. It is important to make sure she gets physiotherapy and early mobilization to prevent clot formation in the deep veins on the leg. She should also take medicine to prevent clot formation which she must be getting from her surgeon.

Symptoms of blood clot are swelling of leg, pain in leg, difficulty breathing, chest pain such can be due to clot travelling to lung and heart.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Orthopedic Surgeon

Brief Answer:
Pain is a common presentation, need not worry

Detailed Answer:

Pain is very common after knee replacement. It will be there up to a week to ten days. Keeping limb elevated and performing the explained exercising relieve pain faster.

Clot formation makes calf very swollen and painful. She can get Doppler scan done to look for any clot.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Orthopedic Surgeon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D