question-icon

Can one have food before a colonoscopy?

Posted on Mon, 18 Jul 2016
Question: I am scheduled for a colonoscopy at 11:30 a.m. tomorrow and was told to drink liquids, jello, broth but no food the day before. I was feeling nauseus at 7:30 this morning so I had a tiny bit of cereal and a tiny bit of 2% milk.
It will be 28 hours since I ate the cereal when I have the colonoscopy. Do you think my colon will be clear and will that little bit that I ate cause a problem and I can't have the colonoscopy.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome

I appreciate your concern

Yes there is a possibility for poor visualisation of the colon. Due to that concern proper preparation of the bowels is advised.

It would be preferable if the colonoscopy is delayed for a later date. Please consult your doctor and apprise him/her of the situation to advise accordingly.

wishing you best of health

Thanks

Dr M.S Khalil

please consult your doctor before taking any further course of action
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil