question-icon

Can one have a weak eardrum and cause rupture by using an ear spray?

Posted on Fri, 30 Apr 2021
Question: Can you have such a thing as a weak eardrum and cause rupture with putting a ear spray in to the canal
I have a tiny perforation and experience fullness and echoing of my own voice .my doctor said no symptoms should be there as the hole is so small.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James (44 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
yes, this can occur

Detailed Answer:

The ear drum is not a very strong structure. The strength of individual ear drums would vary slightly from one person to the next.

Rupture of the ear drum can occur with a spray or the use of a foreign object in the ear.

The majority of perforations heal on their own within 4 to 8 weeks. Though most persons may not have symptoms with a small perforation, this also varies from one person to the other.
As they say, patients are not in text books and what it expected may not happen or vice versa.

The symptoms should improve

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James