Can occipital bone length be shortened?

Posted on Sat, 12 Jul 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am an adult, and I believe I was born with saggital craniosynostosis that has not been treated due to the fact that my occipital bone is very long. Which hospitals offer treatment for adults who would like the length of this boned shortened?
Answered by Dr. Matija Romic 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Try to visit a neurosurgeon

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for asking HCM,

I understand your concern. But I have to inform you that the brain fills your skull completely. So I doubt that anyone would shorten you your occipital bone. In this case they would also have to remove a part of your brain and this is very dangerous, especially in the occipital part because there is a connection between your brain and vertebral spain, so the connection between your brain and body.

Try to contact a neurosurgeon for further opinions.

I hope this answer was helpful to you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Matija Romic