Can obstructive jaundice be caused by lisinopril?

Posted on Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Can obstructive jaundice be caused by hypertensive drugs i.e. Lisinopril? My husband was diagnosed with extrapathic obstructive jaundice 2 weeks ago and after stopping this medication it has slowly resolved. Is this a coincidence or does he need to have more tests, his ultrasound did not show anything?
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 39 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Lisinopril is an ACE inhibitors and it may cause yellowness of eyes and sclera by causing cholestatic jaundice.
Cholestatis may be at level of biliary radicles in liver while it can't affect hepatic ducts, cystic duct and common bile duct.

Obstructive jaundice is caused by any any pathology which obstructs pathway draining starting from gall bladder and liver up to opening of common bile duct in second part of duodenum.
Cause of obstructive jaundice could be stones, tumors, stricture & worms in common bile duct , periampullary growth & stricture at the lower end of common bile duct.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist / gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up.
Although ultrasound imaging helps in cases of jaundice while its an insufficient investigation for evaluation of lower end of common bile duct.

He should also go for CT/ MRI scan abdomen along with MRCP (Magnetic resonance cholangiopancreaticography).
If any disease is suspected in these above defined investigations then he should go for ERCP for therapeutic and diagnostic purpose.

Meanwhile, he should stop Lisinopril and should take another antihypertensive from different group of medicines.
He should take normal diet including turmeric.
He should take bath 2-3 times in a day along with exposure to early morning sun light.
This will help in removal of bile pigment and bile salts from skin and helps in relieving from itching (if he has).

You can ask direct query on this URL: http://bit.ly/Dr-Mayank-Bhargava

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Dr. Mayank Bhargava