question-icon

Can nordette be used as emergency contraceptive like a morning after pill?

Posted on Wed, 4 Dec 2013
Question: Hi. My girl and i just had unprotected sex and she is very much worried that she would get pregnant. She took 4 tablets of nordette estradiol thinking that it can be used as emergency contraceptive much like a morning after pill. Can nordette estradiol really be used as such? And if yes, what is the correct dosage? Please help. I am really worried that there will be very bad side effects for her. Please help us.
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain (50 minutes later)
Hi, Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX There are no clear cut recommendations on that. Please buy the morning after pills which are available over the counter and use as soon as possible. Then do urine pregnancy test every 15 days, twice to be absolutely certain of no pregnancy as the failure rate of emergency contraception when taken in first 24 hrs is 22 percent. Hope this answers your query. Regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Chetna Jain

OBGYN