• question-icon

Can nasal swelling and sinus inflammation cause brain damage?

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi there, I finally got my MRI and they compared my previous MRI from 2004 and they said that it remained stable. They also said that there were some areas of improvement? What could that mean? At the time of my previous MRI, I was 31 and no mention was made of anything. Finally, they said there was inflammation in the sinuses and nasal area- that doesn't have anything to do with the brain does it?
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please upload the MRI reports.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist, here to answer your query.

Inflammation in the nasal area and sinuses don't have a relation with brain.Further, I would like to view your MRI reports to comment upon what they call as 'areas of improvement'. So,please upload both the reports.

I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 24 minutes later

I received a bit more clarification on the areas of improvement and it turns out this was in the sinus area, not the brain. I only have one report and I don't have access to it at this time. Can you say that since things have remained stable on the images since 2004 that I wouldn't even have mild cognitive impairment. I would assume that if I did there would be some changes. I realize that MCI isn't always picked up on MRI, but because there has been stability, this could be deduced.

I have been really foggy since starting the cipralex and almost having moments where i have to think of spelling and I forgot to turn off the stove top yesterday. Could this be from the cipralex and depression since my MRI was normal?

I need answers so I can go on normally with my life.

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
MRI is not diagnostic for mild cognitive impairment.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being in follow-up.

Sinuses have nothing to do with Brain in this regard.Further, MRI does not usually show changes in mild cognitive impairment.Isolated events like 'think of spelling and I forgot to turn off the stove top yesterday' of course can be due to Depression. Cipralex may not be that much of a cause, though in some cases it may cause such fogginess.

You should visit a Neurologist in person, so that he can run higher mental functions tests on you, if you are so concerned about these events.

Hope that helps.If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 11 hours later
Hi there,

I just got more information about the MRI and I have a small region of encepholomalacia that is chronic and and has been completely stable since 2004. They said possibly from infection or trauma. Does this have anything to do with possible having alzeimers or MCI or is this completely seperate?

I am very anxious about this now. I wasn't told about this previously when I had the MRI done in 2004. Could this lead into any other issues?
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not likely.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being in follow-up.

Small region of encephalomalacia in most cases do not have a significant effect. Though, head trauma is considered to be a risk factor for dementia.However, a small region of encephalomalacia is usually safe.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist