Can nasal septum deviation cause high BP?

Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Sir,

i'm 29 year old software engineer working in XXXXXXX doctors confirmed that i have high blood pressure of about 160/100, they prescribed teleact ct 40(morning time) and petril beta 20(during night time), and my bp coming down after 15 days of usage it became 140/100, i'm suffering with deviated septum in nose causing one nostril blocked, is this causing my bp go up, my surgery was postponed due to high bp, i'm having one more doubt sir i'm drinking green tea of 3-4 cups will this interfere with the above medicines.
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
High BP is not due to blocked deviated nasal septum

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX Hi
Good afternoon.
I can understand your concern.

Sorry to know that you have been diagnosed to have high BP (hypertension).
But there is nothing to worry about it, as they are effective medicines to control the high BP.

In most of the cases of high BP, cause is not known & it is referred to as essential hypertension or idiopathic hypertension. Blocked nostril due to deviated nasal septum does not cause a high BP.

While consuming green tea is very good for your health as it contains anti oxidants which are required to maintain a very good health & to lose body weight. The caffeine content of green tea may increase BP if taken along with the medicine Petril Beta.
Whereas there is no such effect seen with the medicine Teleact-40.

Hope this answers your query. However, I shall be glad to attend your follow up query if you.
Best regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 1 hour later
sir,

is the high BP permanent disease, and should i stop drinking green tea as it may interfere with petril beta and will these medications can cause any impotency or sexual dysfunction
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You have to take the medications for life long

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Once diagnosed the treatment of high BP is for life long.
Since there is a possibility of green tea (because of its caffeine although small in quantity) may interfering with the BP lowering effect of Petril Beta, the consumption of green tea may please be stopped.

Drugs like Petril Beta is known to cause sexual dysfunction (has no direct action on the male hormones) but because of the reduced heart rate caused by the drug.

I would suggest you certain life style changes along with the medications like:
Reduce dietary salt intake, avoid alcohol and smoking (if you are taking), avoid stress & reduce your body weight by regular exercise (brisk walking).

Hope this answers your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 3 hours later
sir then how to reduce Petril Beta side effects which causes sexual dysfunction, i'm fearing about this. could i take at least of 2 cups of green tea.
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Petril Beta should be discontinued if you develop sexual dysfunction

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX Hi
Good evening!
Thanks for your reply.

If you develop sexual dysfunction then Petril Beta should be discontinued.
Please consult your treating doctor about this side effect so that an alternate but a safer drug will be used to reduce your high BP effectively without having much side effects.

I hope this answers your query.
Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar