Can narcotics used during a baclofen pump replacement surgery cause double vision?
Double vision common in baclofen overdose
Good afternoon. With these sorts of symptoms and given the nature of the complication I would recommend contacting the surgeon immediately. Double vision from baclofen toxicity is well known which is also accompanied by GI symptoms, dysequilibrium, cloudy thinking. Although post anesthesia effects cannot be ruled out if it's only be 24-48 hrs. in my opinion this is less likely of significance if you did not have these symptoms upon awakening in step down or shortly before discharge. Post anesthetic side effects should be apparent very shortly after become awake and alert. I believe that if these symptoms indeed are due to some toxic side effect of medication that they are related to the Baclofen.
Having said the foregoing....let me temper those comments by saying that you should really do the following:
1. Advise your doctor immediately of these problems. He may wish you to go to the ER especially if there are other symptoms having to do with cloudy thinking, gait and balance difficulties, GI distress, etc.
2. You need a solid PHYSICAL and perhaps even NEUROLOGICAL evaluation looking at your eyes to see whether you have a cranial nerve deficiency and if so, which one. CN III, IV, and VI typically are the ones to dysfunction and result in double vision.
3. If no specific cranial nerve deficiency can be discovered then, your metabolic status may be toxic which itself can result in depressed cognition and this can be the reason for generalized dysfunction of ocular movements resulting in double vision without there being a specific ocular movement abnormality.
If I've provided useful and helpful information to your questions could you do me a huge favor by CLOSING THE QUERY and be sure to include some fine words of feedback along with a 5 STAR rating? Again, many thanks for submitting your inquiry and please let me know how things turn out.
Do not forget to contact me in the future at: www.bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi for additional questions, comments, or concerns having to do with this topic or others.
This query has utilized a total of 15 minutes of professional time in research, review, and synthesis for the purpose of formulating a return statement.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes double vision
- Browns syndrome surgery may cause double vision
- Occasional double vision causes
- Causes of double vision episodes
- Double vision caused by stroke
- Double vision surgery adults
- Temporary double vision causes
- What causes double vision after a cataract surgery
- Drugs that cause double vision
- Meth use double vision
- Suggest treatment for daily headache along with dizziness
- Suggest treatment for attention deficit disorder
- Suggest treatment for muscular dystrophy and swollen genitals
- What causes numbness in feet and toes?
- Are headache, poor concentration and short-term memory symptoms of...
- What causes swollen, painful, red and warm spot on foot?
- What does cranial fluid measuring 23 indicate?
- What causes involuntary muscle contractions on left side of face?
- What are the symptoms to look after an injury to head?
- Suggest treatment for severe migraines