Can myopia cause optic nerve damage?

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Fri, 13 Nov 2015 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I went to the opthamologist yesterday..he specializes in glaucoma..my pressures were good visual fields were normal but he says my nerves look a little odd..he was actually surprised I did not have glaucoma after looking at my nerves. I am extremely nearsighted -10 in od and -7.00 in os..my corneas are thick..I think he said 7.85..does being nearsighted change the nerves so that they look like one has glaucoma? My last doc said I had staphyloma ..is this what they are seeing..will my eyesight get worse over time. What can I do or avoid to keep my sight?? Thanks so much!!! I want to keep my sight!!
My pressures were 22 and 21.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pressure monitoring

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for sending your query to us.
Such high power as you have change the appearence of optic nerve to show them like glaucoma as well as routine monitoring gives false low pressure readings so glaucoma is at times missed.
Pressure readings up to 21 are normal and 21 to 25 are monitored and not treated and beyond 25 are treated as a general guideline.
You are apparently quite good and should have regular follow up.You are good as your vision is maintained and pressure is ok so just regular follow up and any increase in pressure should mean stsrt the treatment.
In such cases we repeat the fields every year.
Keep regular follow up and do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T