Owl Image

Can my swollen tight calf be a blood clot?

Question
Can my swollen tight calf be a blood clot. I've only really noticed the tightness, hard swelling and red blotches on the outside side of the calf. I'm a little tender and swollen around the ankle and acheles tendon.
Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Veins and Arteries

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be a clot!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about these symptoms that you have reported. They are not very suggestive of a possible blood clot but needs to be checked out. Blood slots often cause swelling and tightness of the entire leg and not just part of it. The red botches may represent an infection of the soft tissues of the skin.

Because you are on humira and the immune system can be depressed, no infection can be considered minor in you. For this reason, I will suggest that you get in contact with your doctor for examination and management.

This may not be a blood clot now but a leg infection is a risk factor for a clot. This means this should be taken serious for these various reasons and addressed promptly.

For now, pain medications, keep the area clean, dry and try to elevate the legs to ease fluid return to the heart and reduce swelling.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information if need be.