Can mucus from reflux get into the inner ear and cause deafness?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Can mucus caused by reflux get into the eustachian tubes? Can it get from there into the inner ear and affect the hairs that send sounds to the brain? Can it affect these hairs so causing hearing loss?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it's possible to cause otitis

Detailed Answer:

deafness caused by reflux is not considered the most likely scenario. It is true though that reflux may cause sinuses' problems and otitis. Otitis - if severe - may affect hearing. So the answer is that it is possible but it is also rare...

I hope it helps!
Kind Regards!