Owl Image

Can mononucleosis lead to nerve pains in body?

Neurologist, Surgical
Question
can mononucleosis lead to nerve pains in body? how long does it usually stay.

mine is been going on for 3 months- with pain worse in left leg, but also affecting my right leg, buttock, upper back and arms ocassionally
Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mono probably not the cause

Detailed Answer:
Hello There, Thanks for coming to HealthCareMagic. Given the information you've put forth here, I do not believe that your pain is caused by mononeurcleosis.

The main reson for this thinking is mono rarely causes long term pain and when it does it causes abdominal discomfort. Not pain in the appendages as you have mentioned.

I see that you have taken neurontin before and are allergic. May I asked why that drug was prescribed in the first place?

As far as your pain symptoms are concerned. Right now, i'm thinking that arthritis is a more likely explanation, But i need more information. So tell me a little more about your history and I will do my best to help you.

Vin