Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Can mononucleosis cause tingling and numbness in arms, legs, face and top of head?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 706 Questions
Can mononucleosis cause tingling and numbness in arms, legs, face, top of the head? I've been diagnosed with Mono, but the tingling and numbness, combined with the history of stroke, cancer, and brain tumor in my family, has me worried it's something more than Mono
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 18 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

I do understand your concern

Mono rarely could present with these symptoms, known as peripheral neuropathy. If your hands and legs are not weak and you are able to walk without any support, you can continue the conservative treatment in consultation with your local physician. If any of the symptoms that I have listed are present, please consult a local neurologist at the earliest and get evaluated. Most of these patients generally recover without much problem.
I understand your family history and Id due urge you to stay relaxed during the acute phase of mono.

Hope this clarifies
Please let me know in case if you have any concern
Best wishes

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Can mononucleosis cause tingling and numbness in arms, legs, face and top of head? 4 minutes later
Thanks for the advice. I've only had one headache before all the symptoms started, and now my back hurts fairly regularly, and I can't sleep because of the tingling on my head. Does that mean anything?
Also, If it really worries me, and I think I want to go to a doctor who would look specifically for cancer or brain tumor, what kind of a doctor would I look for? XXXXXXX oncology, family practice?

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 5 minutes later
Thanks for the feed back

I really understand your emotions and pain

I strongly feel that the current set of symptoms that you have posted are related to mono. If you still feel that you need opinion for other things that you have mentioned, I will advise you to XXXXXXX a neurologist who will help you through clinical examination and if required brain scans to rule out any possibility of cancer.

Hope this helps
Please let me know if I can of any help to you
My best wishes
Wish you good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor