Can mitral stenosis cause congestive cardiac failure?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2016
Dec 2016
Excellent

Cardiologist
Question
mitral stenosis and chf

my email is YYYY@YYYY
Mon, 28 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please attach the reports of 2d echo.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing this forum to post your query,
I've gone through your details and I appreciate your concerns.

As per your query, I would like to ask few questions:

Can you please share the 2d echo reports of the patient?

Pressure gradients across mitral valve with the area of mitral orifice have to be seen specifically before making any comment.

Mitral stenosis would cause congestive cardiac failure as when blood can’t flow forward it would regurgitate back into the Right side of heart and organs like lungs causing CHF.

Please attach the reports of 2d echo for further suggestions and treatment patient is on.

Awaiting the follow-up...
Thanks!

Follow-up: Can mitral stenosis cause congestive cardiac failure? 18 hours later
I will attempt to obtain the 2-D echo, the family was told the out-flow was small and that they would treat with high dose beta-blockers. My concern is age 45 and high dose meds as only treatment. Will the IHSS cause further problems over the next few years and why no pacer, he has had one episode of a fib requiring hospitalization

I forgot to mention that when he was in the hospital for the 2nd time for presumed chi that an echo was done with the above results reported by the family except that his pul artery was " dilated" he was d/c with dx of pneumonia

Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,
Untreated mitral stenosis would cause dilation of left upper chamber of heart leading to attial fibrillation.If mitral strmosis is mild to moderate then i would be trreated with medications.
Along with betablocker an anti coagulant should also be given to avoid clot formation in left upper chamber as a result of atrial fibrillation.
For any further assistance i have to go through various pressure and gradient across the valve.
Don’t worry MS is fully treatable.
Even surgery and valve repair has a very high success rate.

Follow-up: Can mitral stenosis cause congestive cardiac failure? 38 hours later
Hi sorry it took so long to get gradient. The last 2-D was Dec12th. The resting outflow gradient is 43 increases to 90 with valsalva mean gradient is 4.7 Mild to mod mitral regard

Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again there,
Have gone theough the reportd of 2 d echo.
As per gradient patient is a candidate for surgery.However in case surgery is not available he could be manged conservatively also but if surgical intervention is possible mitral valve replacement would be a good idea.
Success rate of MVR is also cery high.
Please see if mitral valve area is also there on 2 d echo?
Thanks!

Follow-up: Can mitral stenosis cause congestive cardiac failure? 4 hours later
Thank you for your answers, they have helped a lot. I couldn't find the mitral area ? I'm now concerned that he is s/p septal shaving, now with mitral stenosis in light with his IHSS ( and concentric LVH ) which I assume will continue, then surgery maybe best delayed as last resort.

Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
reply to query.

Detailed Answer:
Surgery in case of mitral valve pathology should not be a last resort.
Success rate of surgery is very high and patient can expect a near normal life post surgery.
But a proper 2d echo assessment is very important before jumping to any conclusion.
A TEE would als be done to access the functions of mitral valve.

Mediactions could just delay the process but they can't stop it.