Can micoplasma pneumonia cause persistent coughing despite being on antibiotics?
Depends on the presence of other symptoms- please see detailed explanation
Micoplasma pneumonie can cause what we call atypical penumonia which means it is not as bad clinically as the usual pneumonia but it can cause bad cough and can last so proper treatment is needed. Did you take levofloxacine for at least 7 days? This is the usual length of treatment recommended.
Are you having fever, fatigue or shortness of breath with this new cough?
If you feel well, no fatigue, no shortness of breath, no fever and you have taken at least 7 days of levofloxacine very likely you are having a viral infection and not something related to your lungs.
If you have any of these: fatigue, short of breath, fever, or you took treatment for less than 7 days please see your doctor to make sure that the infection has cleared and nothing to worry.
Meanwhile make sure you rest well and drink plenty, pneumonia takes a while to heal and in your age is even more important to rest well.
I hope this answers to your question and is helpful to you but please feel free to write me in case anymore clarification is needed on this.
Antoneta Zotaj, MD
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Cough after pneumonia
- Pneumonia productive cough
- Causes of pneumonia
- Pneumonia cough
- Chronic cough after pneumonia
- Still coughing after pneumonia
- Persisting breathlessness and wheezing took antibiotics for pneumonia
- Does guaifenesin for tracheobronchitis cause severe cough with pneumonia
- Pneumonia but no cough
- Pneumonia cough how long
- What causes an episode of chills, dizziness and focusing issues?
- What causes mildly raised INR level despite taking Warfarin?
- What does the following colposcopy report indicate?
- What do the following ultrasound reports indicate?
- What causes a red rash on the arm?
- What causes diarrhea, severe cramps and bloating?
- Suggest treatment for small bumps between the legs and near the buttocks
- What causes redness in the eyes?
- Suggest treatment for severe joint pain in the knees, elbows and ankles
- Suggest treatment for severe headaches and mouth ulcers while having...