Can methotrexate for RA raise cholesterol levels?
hi and welcome to hcm
Thanks for the query.
Yes,it can be cause of high cholesterol especially if it was normal before taking metotrexate since this is known to cause high lipids in some patients. You have 2 options: to stop methotrexate and start with another antiinflammatory drug or take antilipemics along with methotrexate and see will finding improve. in every case,such cholesterol values must be lowered.feel free to ask.regards
Yes,methotrexate is cytotoxic medicine,very useful and effective for chronic inflammation and pain since it supresses inflammatory response,but it has negative effect on blood cells,especially coagulation and lipidogram. This is possible cause of easy bruising,rash or high lipids. In cases of significant side effects it must be discontinued despite its positive effects and you should find propriate alternative. enbrel is good for your disorder,more expensive but it has less effect on lipids and more effect on white blood count. You can try with lower methotrexate dosage,if wont be helpful then enbrel is good alternative
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Raised glucose levels and raised cholesterol
- Does oxycodone raise cholesterol
- Lisinopril will raise cholesterol levels
- Have raised cholesterol level how to control it
- Flecainide raise cholesterol levels
- Can taking estradoil raise cholesterol levels
- Does eating prawns raises the cholesterol level
- Do cashew nuts raise cholesterol levels
- Will eating cashews raise cholesterol levels
- Do cashews raise cholesterol levels
- Undergone subtotal coloctomy. Found fluctuating hemoglobin level. On...
- Frequent stomach ache, shaky hands and dizziness. How to overcome this...
- Sore feet with burning and tingling sensation. How to overcome this...
- Diagnosed with internal hernia. What treatment should be done for cure?
- Diagnosed with peptic ulcer and severe stomach inflammation. Looking for...
- Not active sexually. What is the reason for missed period?
- Feeling weakness and tingling in arm. Is this a sign of any serious...
- Started spotting after period. No itching, burning or foul smell. Sign...
- Cryoablation done for prostate cancer. Noticed swollen penis testicles...
- Having pain in shoulder. What is causing this and required treatment?