Can menstrual blood be used to test for pelvic tuberculosis?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: Can the sample of menstrual blood be sent for cytology,afb smear culture and senstivity,mycotbpcr,if no tissue biopsy has been done,to ascertain abdominal or pelvic tuberculosis..also is it possible to find mdr tb from that menstrual blood sample
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
No clue from menstrual blood, require endometrial biopsy

Detailed Answer:
Hi, XXXX,
Thanks for posting query.
In connection with your query I have to state that, only sample of menstrual blood cannot give any clue about Tuberculosis and culture of Acid fast bacilli cannot be done and this bacteria cannot be detected with this sample.

Only thing required is to go for Endometreal biopsy preferably under anesthesia.

From this endometrial tissue culture of acid fast bacilli can be done. Same thing can be done to find out abdominal tuberculosis.

I hope, I answered your query to your satisfaction.
If you have further query or clarification, please write back.
Ok and take care.
From Dr. Ramesh M. Vachharajani, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani