Can masturbation cause severe back pain?

Posted on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 in Sexual Health
Question: Sir i am facing back pain and i think cause was over masturbation.!
bcuse when i stop masturbation it started lowering down.!
now i dnt have regular pain but whenever i masturbate i again have the pain for atlest 5 days
how can i get rid of this problem
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
let me know your position while masturbation and other details

Detailed Answer:

First of all let me clarify something about masturbation.

Masturbation is natural and normal thing.It is done by 95% of the males in the world,mostly before marriage as well as when wife is away, in menses or pregnant after marriage. It is not at all harmful. Frequency of masturbation done by an individual varies from once a day to once a week. It depends upon individual libido, wish and timing. It neither causes any weakness nor any problem in sexual activity.

There is no normal frequency of masturbation by which we can define over masturbation.In general one act of masturbation requires 100-150 calories. So it is not so much energy consuming. But when person does the same at cost of routine work and daily life we can say it over masturbation. When person does continuous masturbation it can cause fatigue. Masturbation dose not cause back problem directly. Position while masturbating can cause backache.

let me know some details

- Your age?

- Since when are you masturbating?

- Since when problem is there?

- Frequency of masturbation?

- Position and duration of masturbation?

- Is there any history of back problem , injury or surgery apart from masturbation?

I will be happy to help further after getting your answers.

Dr.Chintan Solanki.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 1 hour later
Sir im masturbating frm last 6 years
there is no injury or any other problem
i had my test done
and whenever i masturbate i feel pain
like i did it yesterday after 1 month and now i m suffering from pain will be ok in 2 days or so
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please answer all questions

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up.

You are doing masturbation since 6 years but you forgot to mention your age, since when you have such pain, your position during masturbation and duration-frequency of masturbation.

- Describe severity and exact site of pain also.

- Is this pain relieved by over the counter pain killer medicines?

Please answer all questions so I can provide guidance in right direction.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 8 hours later
Sir my age is 20.
pain is in my lower back,just abv my hips
i used to masturbate evry day.!
till last year
but frm sept 2014 i strtd feeling pain
i didn't knew why this pain was there
so i continued my masturbation i came to know that pain is bcuse if masturbation in dec
and from dec im doing it 3 times in a mnth.!
still whenever i do it the next day pain is there for 3 days
if i take pain kilers pain is revealed but nly for 2 to 3 hrs
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
physical examination is needed

Detailed Answer:
Hi Young man,

Thanks for information.

Pain is there since 9 months while you do masturbation since 6 years.Pain relieved by pain killer for short duration. This history suggests that masturbation is not directly causing pain but during masturbation procedure some muscular stretching is there or masturbation is exaggerating some existing pathology/problem in local muscle/nerves/ligaments.

Masturbation when done for long hours per day can cause back pain but this is not the case in your history.

Proper physical examination by a doctor is needed. If required local x-ray can also be advised.

You did not mention how you masturbate (in which position). Changing of position or method may be useful to avoid such pain.

Please consult doctor preferably orthopedic for examination to rule out physical cause.

All the best.
Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist