• question-icon

Can massaging the stomach area aggravate the pancreas while having regular indigestion?

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have been doing colon massage for a few weeks, and while massaging the colon, I have noted a persistent, though mild tenderness just left of center of the transverse colon. The area seems a little like a tough mass compared to the surrounding tissue. I finally looked up the location online, and I am wondering if it could be the pancreas. I have been eating fairly healthfully during the last couple of months as well as doing occasional enemas in order to get my bowels moving (they had been shutting down rather dramatically). My colon is responding rather well and showing signs of becoming regular, but the tenderness in that one location has not changed. 1) Is it possible to (further) aggravate the pancreas with massage? 2) Since I have no ongoing signs of pancreatitis, should I be concerned? 3) I have had some odd bouts with super strong, though somewhat regular indigestion combined with a fuzzy head and very mild disorientation the first couple of times that I 'cheated' on my rather strict, self-imposed diet. I am assuming that this does not have to do with the pancreas, but would like to be more certain. Admittedly, when the holidays came along (the 4th), we had too many guests to keep my food prep'ed for a couple of days. I fell off the wagon and ats more of the SAD diet during my husband's vacation, and gradually, the indigestion stopped. I am wondering if my pancreas was overreacting when caught off guard by foods that are more difficult to digest? // Now that the holiday and my husband's vacation has passed, I am finally getting back to my diet, colon massage, and enemas to finish getting my colon healthy (as much as possible). But if my pancreas is mildly troubled, should I be doing more? Should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fecolith or a mass, best to get the proper diagnosis asap.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted an elucidate history, your understanding, trial with diet and all and understood the concerns.
First of all it is very unlikely that you can have palpable pancreas, it never is without the most severe symptoms hence out of question unless proved otherwise.
Hence the possible causes of palpable and mildly tender mass in the area you have mentioned.
Fecolith impaction in the transverse colon.
Mass in colon.
Mass of stomach, rare.
I would advise you the following in such a situation:
Since there is a definite mass, it is best to get the exact diagnosis as soon as possible to get assured and plan proper management.
Pain X-ray of abdomen in standing position can tell about fecal load/ fecoliths in colon. And is present a proper laxative and soap and water enema in a conventional way can help you the best to get rid of the fecoliths and the mass.
If something else is suspected, contrast enhanced CT scan of the abdomen, colonoscopy and/or upper GI Endoscopy should give the best possible diagnosis and a plan for further management.
Continue with your diet plan, but more important is to get to the correct diagnosis asap.
I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communications.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 10 minutes later
Thank you. Good clarification and direction. Much appreciated.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for your appreciation.

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome.
Please give feedback.
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon