• question-icon

Can lupus cause heart murmurs and elevated CRP levels?

Posted on Wed, 26 Jul 2017 in Lupus
Question: I have all the s&s of Lupus and yesterday's doctor ordered an echo because he heard a murmur. Is it possible to have Lupus when all the labwork is inconclusive? Also, have anemia and CRP is always elevated. So frustrated with chasing my tail to find a doctor who will understand me.
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Is it lupus

Detailed Answer:
Good evening

Thank you for writing on health care magic

Well, it is always a tough call to distinguish between lupus and fibromyalgia. The symptoms overlap, but if blood work comes negative it is often labelled as fibromyalgia. But never the less, we need to keep a watch on if the disease evolves. At times, clinical signs if present are conclusive even if blood work comes negative

1. Could you throw a light on the symptoms you have been experiencing and for how long??

2. How bad is the anemia?? Are the TLC and platelet also low or is it just Hemoglobin?

3. CRP is usually not raised in lupus. SO I would like to know the value of it and how long has it been since it is persisting...

The murmur detected at your age may be either functional( due to anemia) or degenerative( Valve gets calcium deposits--> Mostly it is aortic stenosis)..So which will be confirmed with the echo

Do let me know these queries. If you could attach the blood reports it would be helpful

Dr Naval
Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist