Can lung nodules be cancerous?

Pulmonologist
Question
I am due to have a biopsy on a nodule on my right lung. I had a biopsy last year on the same nodule. I have been told to see if the nodule is cancer or an infection the biopsy is needed. This nodule has been there for 8 years. I am very anxious naturally about this. My e mail is YYYY@YYYY
Thu, 10 May 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
wait the result of the biopsy please

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome in HCM

Yes i can understand your concern

Probably your treating doctor has seen some changes in the current nodule after a year (such as its density or parameters ),in the chest CT or chest X Ray.

Usually this is the reason that we order a second biopsy in a doubt nodule in such a short time.

Don't worry it is the best choice for you.Probably thay want to be completely sure for it.

If the biopsy is negative than no more worries about and according to the result probably it would be an infection and its treatment depends on the kind of infection itself.

Chronic infections or a passed one sometimes leave signs in the lungs .I have patients in my clinic in your conditions.

If it is positive than the surgery might be the next step.

I reccommend you to wait for the results and trust your doctors.

Regards and feel free to ask me again

Dr.Jolanda