Can lumbar puncture cause severe headaches and backaches?

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Posted on 2 days ago in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I was severely ill for approx 5 days with Influenza B, took a turn for the worse so I went to hospital. Hospital visit occurred 12 days ago. LP performed to rule out Meningitis. 4 punctures only produced blood so another was performed under Fluoroscopy. Results negative for infection. 2 days after Lp’s a blood patch was done to stop leakage causing level 10 headaches. Still having continual headaches level 3 to 6 & pain in lower back radiating down back of both legs. The worst of it though is I have severe pain in my tailbone. Pain is constant regardless of position and intensifies upon pressure(sitting) and release of pressure (standing).
Is this just results of LP’s and in time will heal or a possible infection?

Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Advice to take advil

Detailed Answer:

The back pain radiating to legs and headache are due to lumbar puncture. It will subside in few days. Please be advised to take Advil 400 mg up to 4 times daily as needed.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 5 hours later
My tailbone pain is my concern. It is severe and inexplicable. I’m wondering if it’s due to LP & if I could possibly have an infection.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:

Follow up answer

Detailed Answer:

Tail bone pain is common after lumbar puncture. Apply ice on the area and continue Advil. You can also use a doughnut pillow. Since you do not have a fever infection is highly unlikely.

If the pain does not decrease in next 3 days, follow up with the urgent care to look for possible infection.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Lekshmi Rita Venugopal, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj