• question-icon

Can low vision in the eyes be corrected?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I am 48 years old and power of both eye decreasing, long as well as short distance problem. 2.0 and 1.5 power glass used and power of glass increasing day by day. please suggest to control the power of eye.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need to use spectacles at all times.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. In order to stabilize your eye power you need to use glasses at all times (except for when you go to bed). If you are doing that and yet your eye power is changing, you possibly need to get contact lenses. Getting a LASIK done is another option that could help.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Suggest any eye drop/medicine if required or special diet needed. Feeling eye fatigue during/after working on computer or laptop.
Brief Answer:
You need to take your eyes off the computer from time to time

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. The eyes are an organ of refraction (of light). Eye drops or diet have no role to play in refraction and therefore would not help. The fatigue after working on a computer indicates that your eyes need to strain hard. This indicates that your eye power is properly not proper. Moreover, you need to take your eyes off the computer (for a few moments) every 15 mins or so. When you continue to focus at a particular distance for prolonged periods of time, the eyes get strained. However, if you look at different distances at short intervals, it is how the eyes are supposed to work, and therefore that helps in reducing eye strain.

In case your eyes feel dry you can apply artificial tears but if that is not the problem artificial tears would not help.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 14 hours later
Is gas problem (gastric) affect on eyes ?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No, it does not.

Detailed Answer:
No, the problem of hyperacidity or gas does not affect the eyes.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha