Can low oxygen saturation levels cause pain in back and shoulder?

Posted on Mon, 8 Sep 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Will low oxygen saturation levels cause back and shoulder pain
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. Low oxygen saturation would not be a cause of back and shoulder pain. The most common cause of this type of pain is musculoskeletal.
To help you further with your query, I would need some more detail about you pain such as severity and precipitating factors. Paracetamol and ibuprofen would be the first line pain killers to try.
I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger
Follow up: Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
The pain and stiffness usually follows a bout of low saturation levels. I have alpha 1 antitripsyn deficiency, saturation levels bounce all around, when it gets low then is when the stiffness comes into play. don't know if this helps.
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
May be due to underlying lung problem.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the further information. I still think it unlikely that there is a direct relationship between pain and stiffness and low saturation. It is more likely to be that your alpha 1 anti-trypsin deficiency has caused a compromise in your lung function and when this leads to low sats then you are finding more difficulty with breathing. This may then cause some strain on your chest resulting in back and shoulder discomfort.
I suggest you see a respiratory physician for lung function investigations to establish whether you have significant lung compromise.
I hope this questions your question. If I can be of any further help, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger
Dr. Kerry Pottinger

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist