Can low iron levels affect your period?

Question
Hello there! I have a few symptoms and I am one of those people who are scared to death to ask my doctor!

Is it okay to ask a couple of questions about my health here?
Thu, 7 Jun 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go ahead and ask

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Yes, you can ask medically related questions here and I will do my best to provide you with information. If I don't write back right away it's because I've gone to bed but I will answer tomorrow if I don't respond yet tonight.

What can I help you with?

Follow-up: Can low iron levels affect your period? 26 minutes later
I'm constantly worried I am sick. I am tired. My hemoglobin level is about 9.8 each year I test for it. I currently have burning & itching in my vaginal area. I constantly worry about pain in my behind area...pressure during my period, hemorrhoids, some blood when I wipe, sore jaw on the left side (it is sometimes tender to open my mouth fully), gums are sore on the same side, ear hurts inside on left side, paranoid of fleas in the house and therefore on body

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Some thoughts on these symptoms, and questions to help me advise you.

Detailed Answer:
Ok - let's take a look at some of these things. Some may be related to each others, some may be separate problems.

1. If your hemoglobin is around 9.8, you are quite anemic. The most common cause for anemia in a woman of reproductive age is the amount of blood lost with menstruation.
Is your flow heavy or long (or maybe both)?
Have you pursued looking into controlling your periods hormonally if you have heavy flow?
If you don't have heavy or long periods, has the source of your anemia been determined? This is usually fairly easy to do with some additional blood tests to look at iron-binding, etc.
Has your doctor recommended iron supplementation if blood loss is the cause of your anemia?

2. Fatigue - this is very much expected if your hemoglobin is so low. But it might be worth getting a thyroid level blood test as well.

3. When you say you constantly worry about the pain in your behind - do you think your worry is excessive? What are you worried might be going on? Usually we have thoughts of what might be going on and so if you can tell me what your thoughts are I might be able to address them.

Women who have a retroverted uterus (a normal variant) sometimes get more pressure in the back shortly before and during menstruation. Hemorrhoids can cause bleeding when inflamed and there are different treatments to address hemorrhoids (partly depending on their severity, frequency of aggravation and other factors).

4. The jaw and gums problem I will defer to a dentist, but stress can sometimes aggravate a jaw joint and this sounds like it might be TMJ dysfunction. For some people, a mouth appliance at night can help.

5. Ear hurts - I'd need more information on this symptom, but possibly related to the jaw problem.

6. Why do you think there are fleas in the house? Do you have a pet that has fleas or some other reason?