Can leg length discrepancy in an elderly patient cause any harm?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Mom is 85 years old- One leg is shorter than the other- can you provide any negative impact this might have as she ages- and are there any remedies which could be followed-
Tue, 8 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Shoe inserts can help.

Detailed Answer:
A shorter leg puts an extra stress on the shorter leg and the changes in gait associated with it can cause early progression of osteoarthritis and other degenerative changes in the weight bearing joints like hip and knee. She can use shoe inserts to decrease the discrepancy after consulting her orthopedician. Regular intake of calcium supplements will also help.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal